Wednesday, February 24, 2010

In This Week’s Lunchbox: Black Bean Salad

Ingredients:
• 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
• ¼ cup of corn (I just use frozen corn that is cooked and then cooled)
• Diced red onion (just under ¼ cup)
• Quinoa (just under ¼ cup of cooked quinoa – this is actually the quinoa I still have left from the 1 cup of dried quinoa I cooked up last week. It makes a lot when cooked and I keep it in the fridge and use it in a variety of recipes)
• Diced chiles (jalapenos, serranos, etc. whatever you have or like – I leave the amount up to you. It depends on how hot you want it)
• Lime-Olive Oil Dressing (juice ½ of a lime, add olive oil and salt and pepper, amounts will be based on your tasting preference with the oil and s/p).
• Red pepper flakes (as you like, if you like)

Basically, it’s very simply you just mix all the ingredients together and then add the dressing – slowly drizzle in and taste until it has the amount you want. I also tossed a little bit of ranch dressing dip mix (just the dry mix) in with mine. Salt and pepper to taste, if needed. It will depend on if you already put enough black and pepper in the olive oil-lime dressing.

You can eat the salad on its own or have it with tortilla chips, particularly if the salad doesn’t have a grain element.

Alterations: I recommend that you add tomatoes (chopped/diced), if you have them. I normally do, but I didn’t have any this week. Another nice addition to this salad is fresh cilantro, chopped. It makes a big difference, in a very good way. You can also omit the quinoa, if you like, or replace it with couscous or rice. Some people I’ve shared this with like to top it with shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment