Thursday, February 18, 2010

This Week's Lunchbox: No-Mayo Egg Salad Sandwich with Kale Chips

I try to pack lunch so that I am not tempted by fast food or don't end up at the after-school program getting "lunch" out of the vending machine. It's tough, though, because I don't like deli meats, hate mayo, and can't really get into pb&j that much as an adult. Plus, bringing something that needs to be heated up doesn't always work either.

As I result, found myself just taking boiled eggs with me because the protein is definitely filling or taking a can of tuna and just eating it (again, I hate mayo so tuna salad is no good). Recently, though , I found an egg salad recipe that didn't use mayo (yeah!!), but did use avocados (yeah again). I've created my own variation on it and I love it. I pack the bread and salad separate and eat it open-faced. If you have a nice, crispy romaine, put it underneath the egg salad. Even better.

Egg Salad

Ingredients
  • 3 boiled eggs (I like mine soft-medium boiled, not runny but not hard)
  • 1/2-1 avocado
  • 1/8 cup shelled and cooked edamame
  • 1 squirt of spicy mustard (or whichever mustard you choose)
  • 1 dollop sour cream
  • 1 small, chopped shallot (I typically don't use shallots, since I had some, I added it).
  • Red onion (just a little bit for some bite - eyeball it)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation

1. Boil eggs (to the hardness you desire). When eggs are cool, dice them. I use an egg slicer and do it 2 ways and then break the egg apart a bit more in the mixing bowl with a butter knife.
2. Cook edamame
3. Chop edamame, onions, shallot and avocado
4. Mix together the egg and other chopped ingredients.
5. Add sour cream (I typically use 2-3 spoonfuls) and add 1 squirt mustard (I like to use spicy brown - go easy on it. I find if you add too much mustard it can overpower the other flavors)

Serve as mentioned above.

Kale Chips
  • Kale (as much as you want - just tear it off the stem)
  • Olive Oil
  • Sea Salt and Pepper
It's best to just refer you to Kath Eats Real Food and The Kitchn, the two blogs I referenced and pulled from to make my Kale Chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment