Saturday, December 24, 2011

Festive Culinary Plans for the Last of 2011

I find myself enjoying my culinary adventures more and more and am excited to go out with a bang as the final days of 2011 play out.

For Christmas Eve, I'm making an Indian feast, so the recipes are all things I've never tried before. The tandoori chicken is marinating right now. To go with it, I'm making spiced potatoes and onions, cauliflower in masala sauce, garlic naan (okay, the naan is store bought) and cucumber raita.

For Christmas Day, we're doing surf and turf (Steak and Scallops) along with a baby bella rice pilaf, garlic bread and Jamie Oliver's carrot ribbon salad with carrot cake (my husband's favorite) for dessert. It will be my first time making carrot cake, so I hope it turns out well.

What I'm most excited about is the festive popcorn I'm making for a friend's movie night on the day after Christmas. I've decided to make standard popcorn (I love making popcorn on the stovetop), but also want to make a white chocolate popcorn with pistachios and dried cranberries (think a fancy, Christmas version of cracker jack). We'll see how it turns out. I was inspired by Chef Faulkner's popcorn she made on an Iron Chef America battle that I recently watched.

Finally, I'm doing an Asian meal with a friend to close out 2011. Details on my first ever attempt to make tempura and panko prawns will be provided.

Don't worry. I'll report back and post recipes and photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment